2011年1月8日 星期六

A View from Mount Ritter

A View from Mount Ritter

Summary

In the article, Joseph T. O’Connor, the author, tell a travel experience of Mount Ritter. Through the experience, the writer had learned something and had changed in his life.

Mount Ritter is in northeastern California. The article begins on the Tuesday second week of Joseph’s expedition, on the day, a storm come in so fast that nobody noticed it until everything was covered by the dark. There was a heavy rain and thunder, and the author and his companions had to find a shelter. Their guide said that there would rain twice in Mount Ritter during simmer. When it does, it would be terrible and serious. Suddenly, a lighting struck a tree near the author, and it scared not only the author but also his companions and guide. Soon after the lighting died down, they found that the position they stood was going to be a river, and they were standing in a little island. Deservedly, they decided to ran away from there, and they did it. They thunderstorm and horrible downpour lasted all day and night. For the author, that night was the worst night in his life.

It is interesting that these memories were still clear to the author, even though it happened last year. The experience was the most invigorating, meaningful, and inspiring two weeks of the author’s life. The journey made him reborn. On the top of Mount Ritter, the impressive sight and scenery made him entranced. The wonder also made him to think seriously about his life after high school. In the past, he always ignored the suggestion from his parents or teachers, and he thought he could do everything himself. Through the experience, he knew that he was wrong.

In the final year of high school, the author had changed a lot. His grades had U-turned from D to A or B. he decided to go to the community college that near the Mount Ritter.

Response

It is true that travel can expand people’s views and thoughts effectively. Through seeing natural landscapes, some people may be shocked by the glorious view, and feel insignificantly themselves. Nowadays, our life spaces are narrow. It is hard for us to imagine how vast the world is. I think everybody should take a vacation at least once a year. Human beings are parts of the nature, but we now live in a concrete jungle without any nature things. To go to nature can relax our nervous life and make us healthier. Few years ago, I went to Shito(溪頭) to take a vacation with my family. It is a wonderful experience. We saw a big forest there and the air is so fresh that I had never smell. Insects and animals are everywhere! It is the first time so many living creatures. In the forest, I could always hear beautiful sounds, which made by little birds or insects In the end of the day, I had a best sleeping in the log cabin in my life because of the fresh air. and phytoncide. Through the experience, I knew that the nature is vitality and interesting. We should visit them more often and pay more attention on it. The most important thing that we have to do is protect the nature as possible as we can.

1 則留言:

  1. I really believe that nature can cultivate people’s minds. Now, I will take my personal experience for example, when I was just a primary school student. I once took a vacation to Yu Shan National Park with my family. This trip really made a big impression on me. I still remember the beautiful scenery in that place, the orange-red sun suddenly appeared from the hill and the spectacular view of sea clouds came after. After experiencing the marvelous moment, I told to myself that I should keep an optimistic attitude towards life in the future. I must live as that orange-red sun and with powerful energy all day long. In my opinion, beautiful scenery can relax one’s mind and sometimes it will be an important key to change one’s thoughts from pessimistic to optimistic.
    On the other hand, we should cherish each beautiful thing in our life, it contains not only the figures and objects, but the scenery and the environment. We only have one Earth, if we lose these beautiful things, shall we still live as relaxable as now? I think the answer will be no. So, we should to protect it from being destroyed.

    回覆刪除