2011年1月10日 星期一

Summary and response - A View from Mount Ritter

Summary
The article A View from Mount Ritter was written by Joseph T, O’ Connor, an eighteen-year-old boy. It is a story about his experience and change after a trip. He attended a mountaineering program in the Sierra after his junior year in high school. The weather was good in the first week. However, it changed suddenly and quickly in the second week. The weather was so bad that they had to be very careful on their journey. There were many times that the author was in danger. He had the worst night that day. After the trip, he thought it was a invigorating experience and he would never forget. The most important thing was that he changed his thought of life. He was a rebel. He thought he could do everything well without any help or suggestion. Nevertheless, because of the unforgettable trip, he decided to be a good student in his final year in high school. He corrected his disadvantages and studied hard to get god grades. He was thankful for this advantage in his life. He thought he became a new man and found what he wanted.

Response
After reading the article A View from Mount Ritter, I feel that we can learn many things from nature. Just like the author in the article, sometimes we would be confused with our life. We would rather believe ourselves than trust our parents or teachers. It often leaded us to the wrong way. If we can not find the right methods, we can try to take some trips and contact with nature. Maybe we get some new thoughts or learn something from nature like the author. As I was a child, my parents liked to take me to travel. When I contacted with the nature, I always felt calm and thought many things. Sometimes I could get a new inspiration when I walked in the mountain. Taking trips is a good way for me to listen to my mind.
On the other hand, after reading the story, I think people usually changed after a big disaster or suffered from some bad experiences. They learned the lesson from these experiences. Sometimes, they will cherish what they have now more because they lose something. I was impressed by what the author quoted from Jonathan Harker, “No man knows ’till he has suffered from the night how sweet and how dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.” I think it is very useful for me.

沒有留言:

張貼留言