2011年1月8日 星期六

Male Fixation

Summary

Men should be know how to fix things in our daily life which is kind of gender stereotype. The author referred that fixing things is a historical habit for men, however, men didn’t need to clean bathroom. When women asked them to fix things, they would pretend that they knew everything well. In the article, the author, Dave Barry, he took himself as an example. When his wife asked him whether there was something wrong or not, he would pretend that he was checking it seriously and answer “Nothing wrong with it.”

Besides, the author concluded the reason why he could not handle these things well from his tonsillitis in his childhood. For this reason, he was absent and caused him losing some chances to discuss about the machine with his classmates. Until his college time, his roommate, Rob, fixed things with only a machine. On the contrary, he even couldn’t open the toolbox. That was why he was frightened by mechanical guys.

In the end of the article, the author gave two reasons about there was a tendency why men liked to control everything. First, it was their human nature. Secondly, guys would convince it was normal for the furniture to be against the wall in the Titanic event. Even the guys of federal leadership were no exception.


Reflection

In the modern society, some unreasonable traditions still exists. In my opinion, I think that is a weird stereotype of gender. Every person is unique; no one should be classified into what should do or what should act. Women can fix things and men can clean the bathroom as well. What you are interested in, and just do it.

However, many people think that girls should be good at doing housework. In my family, I have the same problem, too. My Mom always complain about why I can’t do house work well. I think that was a definitely strange thought. Why should I do housework well? Why should a girl need to do housework? Those questions confused me a lot for long time. I think my interest which is reading books instead of doing housework. I discussed the problem with my Mom in one day. I told her that every one had different professional specialty. Although I could not do housework well, I could help her to do other things. After a long talk, she accepted my opinions about that. After that day, I have no more that kind of problems.
Anyway, I don’t think that man should know how to fix things. That is not shameful for not knowing how to fix things. Every person has different kind of abilities. Be a modern person, I think we should get rid of some reasonable traditions, and gender stereotype is one of good examples.

2 則留言:

  1. I don't agree with your opinion at all. Even if it’s kind of gender stereotype that men should fix and women should clean, I think every human should know somewhat to fix or clean in spite of men or women. I consider that everyone has to possess these basic abilities to keep a life.

    Although you can’t do house works well, you have to clean up your own bedroom essentially. People have to cultivate good habits like tidying rooms and keeping neat.
    You may have to abandon those “definitely strange thoughts” in your opinion. Try to learn a bit of house works. It can make you be a better person.

    In my experience, I have learned how to kill cockroach. There are full of cockroaches appearing during summer and spring times. They run out from drains and appear in crowds. I have to overcome fear of them and hit them accurately. After some experiences, I don’t be afraid of cockroaches anymore. I am so proud that even many men scare cockroaches.

    This event teaches me that we can be good at anything by doing it time after time. Thus, don’t evade that you are lack of the ability and just do your best to give it a try.

    回覆刪除
  2. I know even living in modern life nowadays, people still have a gender stereotype. In their traditional thoughts, they consider men should know everything and have abilities to fix household electrical appliances while women should have responsibilities to clean the house, such as washing dishes, laundering clothes and so on. But in my opinion, I totally not agree with these principles. I think there is actually no difference between genders; the relationships between men and women are equal.
    I feel little disagree with what you said, I think no matter men and women all need to have a contribution towards their life. So, they should learn something to do. For example, you can simply press some buttons for laundering your clothes by a washing machine instead by hands. With the convenience, you can clean your house by a vacuum cleaner instead the traditional way. These are very easy jobs for us to do. To do or not to do depends not on whether you have abilities but on whether you want to do.

    回覆刪除