2011年1月7日 星期五

Balancing Act: High School Students Making the Grade at Part-Time Jobs

Summary:

The article of Balancing Act: High School Students Making the Grade at Part-Time Jobs, which wrote by Maudreen Brown. The beginning of the article, Maudreen said that the first job was an unforgettable experience. There are extra experiences that gained more than money often. The acceptable working hours is a main cause for the students keep balance between studies and the other activities related to school. The part-time job discussion frequently brings up by the parents. Through the discussion with Mira Mesa teen-agers, Maudreen confirm that something can be gain more than money.

Several examples provided in the article. The first part examples which the aged of the teen-agers is almost 17 to 18 years old, whom studied at Mira Mesa High, and worked at Burger King. The second part, the teen-ager worked in In-N-Out. They have their aim for the part time. Such as, Charlotte needed the money to support her senior activities. Mike didn’t like to live off of his parents, etc. Through the part-time jobs, they think it is an opportunities for themselves to hold the responsibility. It also very helpful for improved the judgment when they are in trouble. They understood the importance of time schedule organization. Because of the staff rules, they learned to be flexible.

The management of the two companies, Palmer and Mayes started the part-time job while still in high school. Palmer believed that, “there are many valuable qualities one can develop on the job.” Mayes said, “I think students, with their great amount of energy, work out very well in our restaurant.” It like Maureen Brown wrote that “more than a paycheck was gained from that initial working experience.”

Reflection:

Same as others, I have a part-time job experience since I was in high school. That is really constructive for me to gain the working experiences, which I can’t gain at school. Working has taught me a lot, such as, hold responsibility, organization, communication, and determination, etc. Working and studying have many differences. The utmost difference that is although I already learned many theories in school, in fact I am not sure that I am really understand and use it. The utmost difference that is although I already learned many theories at school, in fact I am not sure that I am really understand and use the theories.

My part-time job was as an office clerk in a rather small company. My works are that I assisted the executive secretary to handle correspondence, besides the general duties of a clerk such as typing and filling. The memorable thing was about using the Excel to figure out the purchase price. That is worlds apart what I learned at school, it took a long time to pick up the skills. Responsibility and communication is very important at work, these elements are made more convenient while I worked with the others.

In my opinion, study at school is a stair, a rudimental process to step towards. I never know what I have learned if I don’t practice. Practical experience is often very important at work. It is not means knowledge is not important. Knowledge is one of the important elements in life. Some experiences should be gain before you have to. Understand the differences between school and society while in school, it still has a period for me to prepare, and make sure that I’m ready for made a quick adaptation to the new environment.

2 則留言:

  1. In Taiwan, many students who have full-time education also do part-time jobs for money. It is not easy for them to make a balance between students and workers. For high school students, they can do a wider variety of work, such as serving in shops, waiting tables and cooking in restaurants and fast-food outlets. But these kind of jobs always need students pay their time and spirit, so I think do a part-time job is unsuited for high school students.
    In my opinion, schoolwork should be their priority. Be high school students, what they need to do is get the good grades and achieve the threshold for good colleges. If students are spending several hours each week on working part-time job, that is bound to have a bad effect on their school work. Homework will be done badly and kids who have worked evening shifts will be too tired to learn well in school in the next day. And most of the part-time students just get low-paid and low-skilled. Dodgy bosses often treat students worse than regular employees. For example, some bosses may not give students holiday pay or proper training. Sometimes the work they do is unsuitable or even dangerous.
    If you want to get work experience before entering the society, it is not late to do part-time job when you graduate from high school. You need know what is more important for you or you may care for this and loss that.

    回覆刪除
  2. I know how to monetize your blog search on facebook - Yoogurn's money making

    回覆刪除