2011年1月8日 星期六

Summary & Response of A Generation of Bigots Comes of Ages

Summary of A Generation of Bigots Comes of Ages

Children are our future. It is true but the way that things are going should be worried. A generation of bigots is coming of age. The mentioned issue is indicated by the author, Richard Cohen.

A recent public poll conducted for Anti-Defamation Leauge( ADL) could give us account as an evidence through that prognostication. The result of polls has always found that schooling person is likely to be more tolerant. For that reason, elder people are the most impatient group in the nation. However, in the survey of ADL, the result is quite disturbing. The result claims that both of younger and older American share same biases. When white guy were asked questions like if blacks prefer to remain on welfare rather than work. “Probably true “said by the 50-year-old respondents are occupied about 42%, on another hand, the young party is occupied as same as the elder, about 36%. Similarly, a majority of younger respondents thought blacks “complain too much about racism” and “stick together more than others”. Above two potions have occupied 68% and 63% respectively. The young has the highest percentage of agreement.

Abraham Foxman, the national director of ADL, claimed that the generation is destined to racist or racism to a degree, which he named it as a ‘crisis’. How could it happen? No one could give a reliable answer. But it could sure to guess that younger generation has ignored American recent history. Beside of historical ignorance there is still another , that is , affirmative action. The data suggests that progress on racial attitudes is being reserved.

A generation has come of age without any appreciation of the recent history of African-Americans. Affirmative action need to be re-examined and without being labed as racist.

Response of A Generation of Bigots Comes of Ages

“It’s nothing less than a calamity that a generation has come of age without a deep appreciation of the recent history of African-Amreican.”, quoted from the article.

I have to say, I can not agree with it anymore. In contemporary society, people seems to be eroded by other alien dominant cultures like Korea, Japan, America and else. Korean trend, which is marketing policy and monopoly, have tortured we Taiwan for such a long time. People adore proceeded Korean culture. But in my view, there is no difference between pop music styles. At best language and nationality are different. People who over intoxicated with alienate culture have already forgot or hate their homeland, Taiwan. The reason why I have saying so is my personal experience.

“I hate Taiwan, I wish that I could be American or other country but not Taiwan!!” said by childish and immature me myself. I love English rather than Chinese, I think it is cool when other witness while you are reading alien language. However, with the impulsive of English ecstasy I have chosed English as my major. Not until that time, did I know that the reason why I am so adore to English is that I did not deeply understand that culture. All I have seen , is the glorious package. Also, I learned a lesson from my teacher, she said the mission of applied foreign language student is not be adore to foreign culture, but promote your motherland culture to foreigner. Her words make me feel ashamed. Also, she make me to know that culture differentiate from country to country , it is unique and precious. We should not under look it.

1 則留言:

  1. What lead out new generation become bigot? I think it might be spoiled. Parents spoiled their children let them do what they want and lack of teaching them the right thought. Generally, they become self-center only think of themselves, and don't listen to or care of other people. They are the little emperor in their home and after they become adult, they use the same thought to look at this society. Even though hey are well educated, knowing lots of event's history background, they still think other people should listen to them. So parents spoiled their children is the main reason that let bigot generation comes.
    I was surprised that you had a thought of “ I hate Taiwan”, and your experience really let me impressive. In nowadays, lots of people adore foreign country's culture appearance. The reason why I say appearance is because most of use don't really understand those country's culture, we only know their surface not the thing deep inside. We like their actors, singers, clothing, even their landscape, those things are skin-deep. By those appearance, some people may think other country is better than ours. But if we really understand those countries, I believe we will still like our homeland more, because there is no place better than home.

    回覆刪除